Diesel Power Mechanic - All LevelsMiddletown, Connecticut
It’s drivers who keep America moving. At Estes, you can choose your path and find your ideal work-life balance while enjoying competitive pay, excellent benefits, and newer equipment. Whether you prefer to be home daily or you like the freedom and earning potential of regional routes, you’re in the driver’s seat at Estes.
- We may be North America’s largest, privately held carrier, but it’s the stability of our small-company roots and family-inspired culture that have driven us for 90 years.
- Safety isn’t just an Estes core value, it’s fundamental to the way we do business. Protecting our teammates, customers, and the public is both our mission and our duty.
- Estes has a long history of supporting the military and the men and women in uniform who protect our freedoms. We understand and appreciate the value and skills that military veterans bring to our workforce and communities.
- Teamwork is our way of life. That means we roll up our sleeves to pitch in whenever needed, and support and inspire each other every day.
Dock to Driver Trainee
Why Work at Estes
I’ve been driving for 13 years, and this is a dream job for me. This is one of the best companies for a parent to work for, or any woman. I appreciate being able to make a good living, and also having a great balance with home life versus being out on the road. I can keep up with my responsibilities as a mom and have time with my family.— Lawanda B., Line-haul Driver
I’m the second generation in my family to work at Estes as a driver. My dad recommended that I get hired as a dockworker and then attend the Estes Driving School, which I did. I like being at Estes because it has an all-around good work environment where everyone tries to work things out together as a team.— Channing B., Line-haul Driver
I’ve been a Line-haul Driver with Estes for almost 21 years and this is the best place I’ve ever worked between the four companies in my career. I’m lucky to have a daytime run so I can be home every night.— Tyrone B., Line-haul Driver
We Value Our Employees In Many Ways
Comprehensive medical, dental, vision with health plan premiums starting as low as $0
Paid Time Off
Two weeks paid time off, plus holidays
Life and Disability Insurance
Long- and short-term disability, AD&D, and life insurance for employee and family
Mechanic uniforms provided, allotment for safety footwear
401(k) with company match, discount and financial literacy programs, employee emergency relief fund
Awards and Recognition
Safety, service and performance awards
PayRate - From $27.05/hr to $34.00/hr
- Responsible for repairs and required preventive maintenance of diesel engines, trucks and/or forklifts
- Perform safety inspections of equipment and prepare safety documents required by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), company and any other Federal, State or Local regulations
- Interpret work orders and technical manuals
- Monitor and maintain applicable equipment safety items
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and ensure the work meets manufacturer’s specifications and legislated regulations
- If qualified, diagnose and repair engine electronics and telematics, exhaust and aftertreatment systems
- If qualified, maintain and perform minor repairs on engines, transmissions, collision avoidance systems, a/c systems, air and brake systems, starting and fueling systems, cooling systems, hydraulic systems and steering and suspension components
- If qualified, maintain, diagnose, troubleshoot, and complete minor and major repairs on engine electronics and telematics, vehicle coupling systems, etc.
- Regular attendance is required.
- This is not an all-inclusive list of job requirements and/or duties and may not contain all mental and physical capabilities necessary to perform the job at all times due to circumstances. Operational, safety and other needs may require the employee to perform any and all other duties as assigned. Employees are expected, and must be able to perform all such duties and tasks.
- High School Diploma or General Educational Degree (GED), or any combination of education, which would provide an equivalent background
- 18 + years of age
- Must have a minimum of one-year experience to meet FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) requirements and/or completion of trade school; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must be able to use hand tools and test equipment
- Must have own tools
- Must know general repairs and PM criteria
- Should have specific knowledge of heavy truck repairs in a commercial environment, including diesel engine system diagnostics to ensure equipment is operating appropriately
- Must possess the ability to keep up with changing technology and updates
- Expertise in transmissions, collision avoidance systems, a/c systems, air and brake systems, starting and fueling systems, cooling systems, hydraulic systems and steering and suspension components preferred
- Demonstrated experience with repairing engine electronics and telematics, exhaust and aftertreatment systems preferred
- Expertise in comprehensive diesel engine system diagnostics preferred
- Possess mechanical ability and interest of engines, electronics and precision equipment
- Must possess the strength and stamina required to work with heavy equipment and work in awkward positions
- Physical activities include: walking, lifting, twisting, turning, climbing a ladder, etc.
- A valid CDL and acceptable MVR are required if driving on public roads
- If a CDL holder, must be registered with the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills
- Should be self-starting and organized
- Must possess a strong work ethic and good problem solving skills
- Must be willing to work any shift, including nights and weekends in any weather condition; flexible work schedule
- Must be able to lift approximately 70 lbs., or more if required by the essential functions of the job
- Must be able to comply with all company policies, rules, procedures and Code of Conduct
- Must be able to interact well with others
- Must be able to work independently, or in a team setting
- Must be capable of working under tight time constraints in a high volume environment with multiple priorities
- Responds well to questions; Ability to read, interpret and comply with written information and documents such as safety rules, operations / procedure manuals and maintenance instructions with a high comprehension and concentration level to include the ability to meet deadlines
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, random drug and/or alcohol tests, and will be subject to a criminal history background check
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to lift and/or move a minimum of 70 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to lift, twist, turn, and may climb. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and climb or balance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee may be required to work in high/precarious places, with hazardous materials, and in various weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to loud as required by the essential functions of the job.
Equal Employment Opportunity
EOE, including disability/vets
Sign up for Job Alerts
Jobs Near You
Recently Viewed Jobs
No recently viewed jobs are here...yet.
Please browse the jobs available on this site. Then, you will see those recently viewed jobs here.
No saved jobs are here...yet.
Please press "Save Job" on any opportunity that you find while searching this site. Then you will see those jobs listed here.
Build a life-long career with Estes, the United States’ largest family-owned LTL carrier. We offer many opportunities for growth and development.Watch Video
Commercial Carrier Journal Highlights Estes Fleet Innovations
Commercial Carrier Journal has recognized the innovative way that Estes is working to modify Estes trailers to increase capacity and productivity.Read More